A speech doesn’t have to be a dreaded assignment, a source of anxiety, or a boring monologue. Oregon Children's Theatre created Loud and Clear to help students become confident, engaging speakers and achieve benchmark standards in speaking and listening, all in a safe and supportive learning environment.
"The more I practiced, the easier it got to be brave."
–Second grader, CAPS Elementary
"Nancy and Larry know how to bring out the best in our students and help them feel confident and capable."
–Dr. Scott Lane, Principal, Westridge Elementary
Loud and Clear residencies include:
- 60-minute in-service for teachers providing techniques and terminology to coach students on oral reports and presentations
- Comprehensive teacher guide provides sample activities to ensure learning continues long after OCT instructors leave the building
- In-class workshop includes four 45 to 55 minute hands-on sessions with student
Loud and Clear is aligned with Oregon State CCG's and Washington State EARL's in communication.
- Techniques for achieving good diction
- How to use the voice to create volume and inflection
- Ways to practice making eye contact
- The structure of a strong speech
- The importance of rehearsal for improvement
- Advanced presentation skills including fluency and posture
- How to use the Loud and Clear techniques to give students effective, immediate feedback
- Strategies for helping students write a strong speech, build confidence, and enjoy public speaking
- Theater games to improve skills and extend learning
- Classrooms are $285 each (first 3 classrooms)
- Plus $260 for each additional classroom
- Plus $200 one-time 60-minute teacher in-service. (Copies of the Loud and Clear Teachers' Guide are included.)
- Stand-alone 2 hour teacher workshops are available for $400.
To reserve your residency or for more information call 503-228-9571 or email email@example.com.
Funding Assistance Available!
We now offer funding assistance for our residency programs. Schools with 70% or more of students on free/reduced lunch are eligible to apply. To apply, complete our online application: Click here.
About our instructors:
Nancy McDonald has over 25 years of experience as an actor, producer and arts educator. With a BFA in Theatre from Ohio’s Wright State University, Nancy was a founding member of Shakespeare Stage Company in New York, founder and producer of The Writer’s Lab in Hollywood, and performer on stage, film and television. She teaches her signature adult courses Acting for NonActors and How to Tell Your Story at Lakewood Theatre, lectures for PCC, and provides private one-on-one coaching and workplace training.
Larry Overmire is an actor, writer, director and educator. He received an MFA from the University of Minnesota and has performed on stage, film and television, including the Broadway production of Amadeus and the television soap operas All My Children and Loving. With over twenty years of experience in arts education, he has designed programs for Lincoln Center and Manhattan Theatre Club in New York City among others and enjoys working with students of all ages
Teacher survey — we want your feedback!
If you are a teacher who has participated in Loud and Clear, please help us continue to improve our programming by completing our survey: Click here.